BERKS CO., Pa. (WPMG) – WPMG-TV Reporter Justin Selig is currently on scene of a working emergency incident in the area of North Home Ave. in Topton Borough, Berks County.
A large gas leak was detected behind the one residence, to which the Topton Volunteer Fire Company had started to issue a mandatory 1-block evacuation for all homes within the immediate area of the fire crews.
Local restaurants were affected by the incident, including White Palm and Tony’s Italian Restaurant.
The Norfolk Southern railway was also notified to cease all operations immediately for any locomotives in the general area.
Numerous buses were called to the scene to help transport nearby residents away from the scene who did not have their own form of transportation.
The Pennsylvania State Police are currently on-scene and are working with the cooperation from MetEd and UGI utilities.
All local fire departments are assisting with major traffic control operations.